Prep your candle for the first burn
The first thing you want to do is ensure your wick is the proper length. We recommend using nail clippers for the straight cutting suface- we bought a wick trimmer and it didn't cut well. We are on the look out for a good quality one! You want your wick to be about ¼” in length before burning. You will want to trim the wick to this size for every subsequent burn. We recommend only trimming wicks on cooled candles, to prevent debris from falling into hot wax.
Find the right home
Now, you want to find the perfect surface for burning. The ideal surface is even, heat safe, away from drafts, and out of reach of pets, children and wild or elaborate decor items (we speak from experience, dried floral wreath!). The larger the room, the less scent you will smell from the candle as it has more floor space to cover.
Light your flame
Finally, you may light your candle. Lighters are great for early burns, but as the candle wax gets lower, we recommend a long match to reach the wicks without burning yourself. Plus, it's so satisfying striking a match and lighting a candle. Allow the wax to burn to the edge of the jar, to prevent tunnelling. You don't need to do this on burns afterward, but the first light is important. It creates a "memory" for the wax.
Never leave a candle unattended and don't burn for more than 4 hours at a time. The glass jar can break / snap. Do not burn the candle once only a half inch of wax is left. It can over heat the jar and snap.
Re-purpose, re-use, re-cycle
To clean the wax out of the glass jar, create a double boiler with a pot and water. Place the candle jar in the pot with the water reaching about half way. Put on at a medium boil and the wax will melt. Pour the liquid wax in a container - down the road, you can make your own candles with the left over wax. Or let harden in tinfoil or an old soup can and throw out. If you are going to recycle the jar, most recycle depots want the container clean. Once the old wax is removed, use a cloth or oven mitts to take out of the pot and wipe the inside down with a cleaning cloth or paper towel.